Tuesday 12 June 2007

My Thoughts On Motherhood

I have been an aunt for about 7 years now (when my eldest nephew turns 7 next month) - I would like to think I am a wonderful aunt to my cute nieces and nephews - fun, loving and a "Santa Claus" every now and then; but I am just not as sure of myself when it comes to my own brood in the future. When I am just an aunt, I do discipline my nieces and nephews (5 of 'em) whenever I come across behaviours that requires gentle reprimand but when I do become a mother, I am not sure whether I would be entirely too strict for my child's comfort and growth.

There are a lot of things that I worry about when the thought of child bearing and rearing comes to mind - how will I fair as a mother? Motherhood requires a lot of commitment - both monetary and otherwise. My hubby and I would like to provide our children with a head start or at least the means/basics to compete with the rest of generation Y (not sure whether it'll still be gen-Y, else it'll be gen-Z by then). Cost of living and education is increasing in leaps and bounds - would our level of income be able to warrant them a head start? This question keeps revolving in my mind - my gut feel is no however I cannot afford to put off motherhood that much longer as I'll be pushing 30 soon. *Sigh* When I do share pictures of "mini me and hubby" in the future; you can then say that I have found an answer - else it'll be the worse case scenario, I have to because I have crossed the 3rd decade mark of my life thus cannot delay any further.

I am very proud of my friends who are mothers now and when the time comes - I can be proud of myself too.

3 comments:

cairo's mommy said...

some things must be there b4 the kid comes, some things only come after the kid.

either way, one kid is never a wrong move. think more when you're considering the 2nd or 3rd though :p

Just Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing ;-)

Cheryl Leong said...

Hmm, I must say, the 30's is getting scary for me as well. But I am sure u & Wei Siang can afford for your future baby now ;)