Sunday 1 July 2007

Tag : SAHM or FTWM

Since I am tagged by Cheryl on this topic i.e. to be a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) or a FTWM (Full Time Working Mother) let me put down my thoughts down below and weigh the positive and negative of each. I have not really gave this much thought before this.

1) In one of my earlier entries, I have written my thoughts on motherhood, at our current income level, we may not be able to give our child a head start, thus I will choose to be FTWM.

2) In Malaysia, the price of child care and option to employ a maid are affordable options, my choice will still be FTWM.

3) I also grew up with my mom being a SAHM but there are limitations here namely financial freedom, choice is still FTWM.

4) A SAHM will of course have the luxury of seeing the changes in our children on a constant basis, but if a FTWM have the luxury of having her parents of parents-in-law care for their child, it would also be a favourable arrangement. And FTWM can invest in technology i.e. web cam, 3G handphones or what not to monitor and keep in touch with her treasure :-)

5) It is only fair, for a woman to contribute to improving the economic status of family (own, parents etc.) and country. So FTWM again.

6) If I am living elsewhere i.e. where childcare costs vis-à-vis my income and doing the math will be more expensive, I will be a SAHM. But if that is not the case, it'll be FTWM.

7) A FTWM can also exert positive influence on her children if she is able to manage/balance a career and be an attentive mother. It is not how much time spent per se but the perception of your child, how involved you are in their life, studies etc. (hee hee, my thesis was something along this line i.e. perception of maternal parenting behaviour, academic achievement etc.)

8) Although once in a while, I will tell hubby I want to be SAHM but I am not 100% sure I can stand being idle. I am not saying that being a SAHM is any less challenging, I guess, I would like to have a meaningful career and when I have reached the stage that I feel that I have achieved something in life, I may opt then to be SAHM.


*****Instructions*****
i) If you are given a choice, SAHM or FTWM? Give at least 3 reasons.

ii) Include your name in the thread below

iii) Tag 3 person


List:
Immomsdaughter prefers to be a SAHM
Miche prefers to be a SAHM.
Msau prefers to be a PTWM.
Everydayhealy prefers to be a SAHM.
Jazzmint prefers FTWM.
Cheryl prefers to be a FTWM but will consider SAHM.
Just Cheryl prefers to be FTWM

3 persons to tag:
Woan Jiun - no one else to tag leh (u can fulfil 3 tags with one post) ;-)
MomofHayward - thanks for reading my blog ;-)
Tutiger - thanks for reading my blog ;-)


3 comments:

Vivianz said...

Ha... wait for the day to come... 3G phone or whatever latest technology available out there, you only wish to touch and feel your baby. :P

Just Cheryl said...

Yalor - that's the difference between views of a mommy and a mommy-to-be :-)

Just Cheryl said...

Like I said, who knows, things may change when my environment and circumstances change