Wednesday 27 June 2007

My take on music

I am probably one of the few human ignorant of the latest happenings in all things related to music. Any new music that I catch on will be either through the radio - about an hour (accumulative in a day) or when hubby plays songs from his ThinkPad at night. Not often though that song he plays will be easy on my ears - I am partial to loud music unless I have acquired a liking to a particular song/singer. Remembered the first album that he let me listen to years ago - Oasis, I have trouble getting past the 3rd song of that album; either I will fall asleep or abort further attempts. My choice of easy listening music is something that would not leave me with a mind numbing or throbbing headache and I listen to Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, English songs as well as instrumental/classical music.

The ones that I do not have trouble understand the lyrics in its entirety would be songs in the English language. I am one of those that people will call a "banana", yellow skinned but far more westernised on the inside i.e. beliefs/culture. Yup, I do watch Japanese animes/ Korean dramas and such but with English subtitles and even Chinese movies (I read the English subtitles once in a while). I can comprehend quite an extensive array of mandarin (my Cantonese and hokkien far better), but when the need arises I will feign ignorance of the mandarin language especially when I receive phone calls and the first thing I am asked is whether I understand mandarin - I will reply that I can't in English. *Sigh* one time I got caught coz I replied in mandarin that I do not understand, got caught by the lady on the other line, you just replied my question in mandarin right? My smart comeback was - yes, but that's only a few words - so what is this all about? (that being said with a fake put on accent).

Let me list down my favourite singers (in no particular order):
i) Jay Chou 周杰倫
ii) Eason Chan 陳奕迅
iii) Hirai Ken
iv) Michael Buble
v) Chyi Yu
vi) Ronan Keating
vii) Takeshi Kaneshiro 金城 武
viii) Ray Boltz (gospel singer)
ix) Others - certain songs only such as Jolin Tsai 蔡依林, Lee Hom Wang 王力宏, Robbie Williams etc.

You may find a resemblance in all the above singers that I favour - all of them have soothing voices. Before I forget, I am also a big fan of oldies i.e. songs by Carpenters, Beatles :-)



1 comment:

cairo's mommy said...

at leats you still have some new names, i am still listening to jacky cheung's old songs hahaha.

oh, i've tagged you, check it out at my site *wink*